Question 4. For waves that move at a constant wave speed, the particles in the medium do not accelerate. Select the correct answer:
Question 6. Two car horns are sounded creating two sound waves with frequencies that differ by a factor of three. How does the speed of the higher frequency sound wave compare to the lower frequency sound wave? Select the correct answer:
- The higher frequency sound wave travels 3 times faster Your Answer
- The lower frequency sound wave travels 9 times faster
- Both travel at the same velocity
- The higher frequency sound wave travels 9 times faster
- Could be either sound wave, more information is needed
- The lower frequency sound wave travels 3 times faster
#4 – False. The speed at which waves propagate is called the wave speed. it depends upon the properties of the medium through which it moves. At the time of propagation, each disturbed particle must exert a force on its neighbor. Hence the given statement is false.
#6 – Both travel at the same velocity. Sound speed in a medium is constant regardless of frequency. When the frequency is changed so wavelength changes but speed remains constant.